In around 1905, Sydney Simmons acquired the meadow and woods beside the East Okement River and paid for it to be landscaped as a park with ornamental fountains and waterfalls and a beautiful Swiss style chalet for the enjoyment of the people of Okehampton. In 1906 he presented the park to the town and it was opened to the public on 8th July 1907 and named Simmons Park after the town's generous benefactor.
In 1921 Okehampton Town Council acquired Kempley Meadows, which now form part of Simmons Park, and Sydney Simmons provided the funds to have the recreation grounds, including a bowling green, laid out with it being a condition that the work be done by the men of the town who were out of work.
In 2002, Simmons Park was refurbished, the works being funded by Okehampton Town Council, the Heritage Lottery Fund and individual donations. The works included the restoration of the beautiful woodland walks and the addition of a rose garden to celebrate Her Majesty's Golden Jubilee.
Since then the park has grown to include multi-sports facilities, play areas for all ages and the Parklands Leisure Centre. A recent addition is the elegant Band Stand.